Export Controls and Licensing
Export Controls in Japan are governed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Japan’s Policies on the Control of Arms Exports Security Export Control Policy Division, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI).
METI produce a Controlled Goods Listing which details/outlines Military and Dual Use goods which the Japanese government control for export.
Although Japan’s Controlled Listing corresponds with the multilateral export control regime lists, unlike the UK/EU and US it doesn’t follow the categorisation system as laid out by the Wassenaar Agreement.
The following Andor Technology products are currently included in the Japanese Control Goods Listing.
|All ICCD Products
||Depending on the camera specification it can be either of the following:
||Section 10 (4) (6A003.b.3)
Imaging cameras incorporating image intensifier tubes having the characteristics listed in 6A002.a.2.a. or 6A002.a.2.b.;
Section 10 (2) (6A002.a.2.a)
Image intensifier tubes having all of the following:
1. A peak response in the wavelength range exceeding 400 nm but not exceeding 1,050 nm;
2. Electron image amplification using any of the following:
3. Any of the following photocathodes:
- a. A microchannel plate with a hole pitch (centre-to-centre spacing) of 12 µm or less; or
- b. An electron sensing device with a non-binned pixel pitch of 500 µm or less, specially designed or modified to achieve 'charge multiplication' other than by a microchannel plate; and
Section 2 (39) (6A203.b.2)
- a. Multialkali photocathodes (e.g., S-20 and S-25) having a luminous sensitivity exceeding 350 µA/lm;
- b. GaAs or GaInAs photocathodes; or
- c. Other "III/V compound" semiconductor photocathodes having a maximum "radiant sensitivity" exceeding 10 mA/W;
Cameras and components, other that those specified in 6A003, as follows:
Other framing tubes and solid-state imaging devices having a fast-image gating time of less than 50 ns.
|All EMCCD Products
EM Newton - DU970, DU971
|Section 10 (4) (6A003.b.4.c)
Imaging cameras incorporating "focal plane arrays" having any of the following:
a. Incorporating "focal plane arrays" specified in 6A002.a.3.a. to 6A002.a.3.e.;
b. Incorporating "focal plane arrays" specified in 6A002.a.3.f.; or
c. Incorporating "focal plane arrays" specified in 6A002.a.3.g.;
Non-"space-qualified" "focal plane arrays" having all of the following:
1. Individual detector elements with a peak response in the wavelength range exceeding 400 nm but not exceeding 900 nm;
2. Specially designed or modified to achieve 'charge multiplication' and having a maximum "radiant sensitivity" exceeding 10 mA/W for wavelengths exceeding 760 nm; and
3. Greater than 32 elements.
|Note: “Technology” associated with the design, production and repair of the above products is also controlled under the following Dual List entries, and therefore also requires an export licence if from Japan.
6E001 "Technology" according to the General Technology Note for the "development" of equipment, materials or "software" specified in 6A, 6B, 6C or 6D.
6E002 "Technology" according to the General Technology Note for the "production" of equipment or materials specified in 6A, 6B or 6C.
"technology" means specific 'information' necessary for the "development", "production" or "use" of "goods" or "software";
Licence applications can be submitted electronically through the Japan Electronic Open Network Trade Control System (JETRAS) on the METI website, or locally at METI offices.
Where you are exporting the above products from Japan it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the applicable regulations and ensure that the appropriate license has been applied for/received from the authorities prior to shipment.